Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Cookbook 2 : The Pioneer Woman Cooks "Recipes from an Accidental Ranch Wife" by Ree Drummond - Simple Perfect Chilli Beef & Pico De Gallo

 

Everyone knows by now my fascination with The Pioneer Woman, Ree Drummond, it no secret shame that I love her romantic city girl meets country billionaire rancher and rides off in the sunset love story.  She loves her life, adores her family and spends all her free time cooking up wonderful recipes to share with the world.

So it then no surprise that I have bought both her Cookbooks, is it?  I will at some stage shortly when winter hits, be cooking up the elusive challenge of Dr Pepper Pulled Pork as it was my real motivation for buying the book and challenge myself.  I got an old school friend in Ree's work and he already cooked up this in Singapore about 2 years ago and put me to shame, so I WILL I WILL cook it very soon, within 6 months, my delay is not having a heard to devour it!

So anyway.... I have first, well not first but first in my Cookbook Challenge to share something gorgeous and scrumptious and meaty with you all.  Chilli Beef, so American, so Cowboy, so here it is all dished up!

Simple, Pefect Chilli

2 Garlic Cloves
1 tsp Ground Oregano
1 Tbsp Ground Cumin
1/4 tsp Cayenne Powder
2 Tbsp Chilli Powder
1kg Mince Meat (Lean Beef)
1 can Tomato Passata/Sauce
1 tsp Salt
1/4 Corn Flour (I had to use plain flour)
1 can Kidney Beans (or Pinto)

Measure out all your spices, using a heavy deep frypan or my preference of a Le Crueset Pot place the ground beef (mince) into it with the garlic (I first added some olive oil to the pan so it didn't stick), and cook until brown.  If you get a large amount of liquid form in with the meat due to fat content then drain it off.

Pour in your tin of tomatoes or passata, followed by the salt and spices, stir them through thoroughly.  Then cover and leave to simmer for 1 hour. If it become dry at any stage (check regularly) then add 1/2 cup water to the mix.

After the hour add in your flour, and mix it into the chilli.  Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.  Ready to serve! 

Pico De Gallo

1 Red Onion
Roma Tomatoes
Coriander (aka Cilantro)
Jalapenos (optional)
1 Lime
Salt

Firstly dice up your onion finely, the finer the better.

Next diced up your tomatoes.  Then chop up your coriander. And de-seed and finely dice your Jalapenos if you desire to add them.

Place the four ingredients into a bowl.  Slice your lime in half and squeeze half it over the diced ingredients in the bowl.  Sprinkle with salt and stir everything together gently.

NOW...
Lay it all out and serve it up with Soft Shell or Hard Shell Tacos and have your hungry herd dig in!

For Serving I also placed bowls of:


Grated Chedder Cheese
Diced Tomatoes
Shredded Lettuce

That's a Wrap!



No comments:

Post a Comment