Sunday, December 30, 2012

Challenge No 8 - Tangled / Rapunzel Cake and Dessert Table

My 3year old's best friend, Miss Lucy turned 3 and after catching sight of one of Marley's birthday cakes we had with my family, she wanted nothing else than a Rapunzel themed birthday party. So I set out to fulfil that wish for her.

Unfortunately her licensed Table cloth, plates, napkins and banner didn't arrive and got lost in the mail, that have resent it but that arrived a month late.... so now I have spares for the next Tangled Party! Any takers?


CAKE


The cake was the most fun to create.  I made it in 3 coloured layers, flavouring each layer to match
Mauve - Grape
Yellow - Lemon
Pink - Raspberry

Put together with double lemon buttercream (in lilac).  And the tower was created using chocolate cupcakes, with 2 skewers holding them together on top of the cake. The piped the mauve buttercream all over to blend them together.  I printed off some edible icing sheets with images that i used such as Rapunzel in the window on the tower.  The roof of the tower was a miniature ice cream cone, and then coated in Candy Melts and covered it in purple Wilton jumbo sprinkles.  I then piped out all of the green with the grass tip. And the name was made from fondant with cutters.

COOKIES


I decided to go with a sun/star shape that resembled the symbol in the movie for the "lost princess", I kept them simple as I was making the entire dessert table contents, so I just covered them in mauve fondant. I printed off two different Tangled images onto edible icing discs and adhered them to the fondant and then sprinkled in gold edible glitter for effect and tied them in cello bags.

JELLY + MARSHMALLOW CUPS


I just made a simple creaming soda flavoured jelly in a 3 litre container/bowl, set it for 6 hours (preferably overnight) and then diced it up and filled some mauve crystal plastic dishes for added princess sparkle.  I topped each dish with a scoop of marshmallow topping and added matching sprinkles.

CUPCAKES

I adapted a recipe from a great blog, called Always With Butter.
RECIPE:
1 1/4 cups Plain (all purpose) Flour
1 tsp Baking Powder
1 1/2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
1/4 tsp Ground Ginger
1/2 tsp Ground Nutmeg
1/2 tsp All Spice
1/2 tsp Ground Cloves
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups Castor Sugar
6 Tbsp Butter - melted and cooled
2 Eggs
1 tsp Vanilla
1 cup Pumpkin Puree
1/3 cup Water

Preheat oven to 180 (or 350) degrees. Line cupcake pan with wrappers.

Sift all the dry ingredients into a medium bowl and set aside.  Place butter and sugar in mixing bowl and cream using mixer on medium.  Add in an egg at a time to the mixer, then the vanilla and beat it well.

Add the pumpkin puree (I make my own from fresh pumpkin and boil it in saucepan of water until it is soft enough to put through a food processor and liquefy) and mix thoroughly.

Add the dry ingredients in three parts to wet mixture until just mixed through. Do not over beat.

Spoon mixture into cupcake papers, filling approx  two thirds full.  Bake for 20 minutes.

Makes 12-20 small cupcakes or 12 large (muffin size) cupcakes.


No comments:

Post a Comment