Monday, December 10, 2012

Lets kick off the Silly Season with Rudolf Cupcakes!

HO HO HO Merry Christmas...... I can hear Santa preparing his sleigh already for his Elves to fill with goodies for all the good boys and girls worldwide!  And in light of this excitment I am kicking off this Silly Season with a fun cupcake to do that the kiddies will all love!!


Because who doesn't love a fun, happy, giggley reindeer that we all know and love? Noone? Excellent! 'Cause I have just the activity and you can even get the kidlets to help you.

I used my personal recipe I always follow for a great chocolate cake as its dark and fluffy and super quick, my Miss 3 often assists in the mixing stage, and as opposed to a dense chocolate cake its great for cupcakes.  I came up with these after I found a packet of chocolate coated pretzels at the shop that I thought looked just like antlers!

I am entering this Rudolf the Red-Nosed Cupcakes in the Creative Holiday Recipe Contest hosted by Kristan at Confessions of a Cookbook Queen and Shelly at Cookies and Cups! Just because I follow them both religiously and love to bake there prized blog posts myself... I feel honoured to be able to share one of my recipe creations on their Blog with you all.  In fact I have only just posted today a whole Christmas Post on Food Bloggers I LOVE! Kristan & Shelly are right up there, dont miss the post for a great lot of Food Bloggers to enjoy...

Rudolf the Red-Nosed Cupcakes

Cake (OR you can use a Betty Crocker Packet Cake Mix in Devils Food):

1 3/4 cups Plain Flour
2 cups Castor Sugar
3/4 cup Dark Cocoa Powder
2 tsp Bi-carb Soda
1 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Salt
1 cup of Milk
1/2 lemon - squeezed
1/2 Vegetable Oil
2 Lrg Eggs
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 cup Boiling Water

Decorating :

Tub of Chocolate Frosting
Red MnMs (or skittles)
Chocolate Coated Pretzels
Icing Eyes (Wilton or similar)
Snouts (I used my Gingerbread Cookie recipe, but you can use a store bought small round cookie)


Preheat oven to 180 (350) degrees. Grease and flour your cake tin or line cupcake pan with patty cake wrappers.

In a medium bowl sift together the flour, sugar, cocoa, bi-carb, bakign poswer and salt. Set aside.

Fill jug with 1 cup of milk and squeeze in the lemon juice and set aside (this will curdel like yoghurt) leave for 5-10 minutes.

Crack your eggs into the eletric mixer and whisk until foamy, then add in your vegetable oil and vanilla and mix well for 3 minutes.  Add in the milk concoction and mix well.  I suggest to change your beater from a whisk attachment to the paddle.

In 3 instalments add in the dry sifted ingredients and mix on a low setting. Once just mixed (do not overmix) then add in the cup of boiling water and I recommend stirrign this through with a spatula, ensuring you are scraping mix from the bottom so with all ingredients are mixed in well without a risk of over beating, as this will cause it not to rise.

Pour your mixture into your patty cake wrappers, I use 2 soup spoons to fill wrappers and I fill them 1/2 - 3/4 to the top with batter.

Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes.

Once completely cold, you can begin to decorate as follows :


I cheated... shhhhhh... I used a tub of Betty Crocker pre-made Chocolate Frosting to save time at Christmas Crazytown time.  Soooo cover your cupcake in chocolate frosting and stick the snout onto one side of the top of the cupcake.

Next add your eyeballs and antlers (pretzels)!

Finally arrange on a fabulous cupcake stand to show off your hours (cough cough - not) of hard work creating these babies!!



2 comments:

  1. Oh these are ADORABLE!!! Thanks so much for entering!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are gorgeous :) and delicious - what more could you want!

    ReplyDelete